Inject Something Absurd or Nonsensical
Absurd advertisements capture attention because they disrupt expectations.
Absurd advertisements are effective (Arias-Bolzmann, Chakraborty, & Mowen, 2000).
Selling oranges? Examples:
- Surrealism. Use products unconventionally (e.g., an orange for the sun)
- Anthropomorphism. Give human traits (e.g., an orange with a face)
- Metaphor. Convey benefits indirectly (e.g., dancing oranges to convey liveliness)
- Non-sequitur. Use unrelated images (e.g., a giraffe selling oranges)
- Irony. Use unexpected or opposite meaning (e.g.,crowd of people who are jealous of someone eating orange).
- Arias-Bolzmann, L., Chakraborty, G., & Mowen, J. C. (2000). Effects of absurdity in advertising: The moderating role of product category attitude and the mediating role of cognitive responses. Journal of Advertising, 29(1), 35-49.