Rhyme Your Slogan or Call-to-Action
Rhymes feel more accurate and truthful.
A simple rhyme dictated the O.J. Simpson trial: If the glove doesn’t fit, you must acquit.
Consider these ad frames:
- What sobriety conceals, alcohol unmasks.
- What sobriety conceals, alcohol reveals.
Both statements convey the same information, but the rhyming statement seemed more accurate and truthful (McGlone & Tofighbakhsh, 2000). Students felt a pleasant sensation from the rhyme, and they misattributed this sensation to the information.
So find a rhyme:
- Be a dove, show some love.
- Whaddya say, donate today.
- Want a tour? Visit our store.
- McGlone, M. S., & Tofighbakhsh, J. (2000). Birds of a feather flock conjointly (?): Rhyme as reason in aphorisms. Psychological science, 11(5), 424-428.