Insert Emojis to Supplement Existing Messages
Emojis are less persuasive when they replace the verbal message.
Emojis are ambiguous.
- Is 😋 delicious or silly?
- Is 😂 laughing with you or at you?
- Is 🙏 praying or a high five?
Researchers confirmed that emojis need context (Maiberger, Schindler, & Koschate‑Fischer, 2023).
Across multiple studies, supplemental emojis garnered more likes, retweets, clicks, and purchases:
- Supplemental: Arrested Development is so funny 😂
- Standalone: Arrested Development is 😂
Next time you insert an emoji, don't replace the verbal context.
Keep this in mind 🧠
- Maiberger, T., Schindler, D. & Koschate-Fischer, N. Let’s face it: When and how facial emojis increase the persuasiveness of electronic word of mouth. J. of the Acad. Mark. Sci. (2023).